Cemetery of Splendour Extra Credit Assignment


I did not really enjoy the movie, due to its slow pace and boring cinematography. I do think the aspects I didn't like about the movie were entirely intentional on the filmmaker's part, but I just didn't really like them. The film is almost entirely composed of stationary medium-wide shots. Every take is very long, and for most of them nothing really happens. A lot of the movie is just characters sitting around and doing menial tasks. This leads to some good comedic moments, such as the fruit eating scene, but other than that I don't think it benefits the movie. I just felt really bored during the whole thing, and I don't usually feel bored during long or slow-paced movies. Maybe it's because I did not emotionally connect with the characters. Honestly I really didn’t like all of the characters because they were all really annoying. The cinematography was also really annoying to me because every shot took several minutes to cut and I found myself asking why am I even watching this right now. It would be fine if there was some variety to the shots, or even if the shots looked nice, but each time it was the same ugly medium wide shot on a boring background with the same boring characters. There’s no music; the sound is almost entirely diegetic. The one thing I liked was the premise. I like fantastical stories with elements of magical realism. I just don’t think the director executed it well at all. I didn’t ask the director why he made these choices because I didn’t want to tell him I thought his movie sucked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 3